Last week when I was out I stopped by and took a few pictures of the covered bridge in Milton, West Virginia. The bridge was relocated a few years ago to a new location. Before that it was actually being used and was at the original location where it was built.
I kind of wish they left it where it was myself. The new location lets the sun beat on it too much and it has made the paint fade. It also is sagging in the middle.
That's a beautiful bridge, Angela. I hope it survives. They moved the Statts Mill bridge in Jackson County to Cedar Lakes and it's been okay so far. I think it was moved about 20 years ago. The one Gorges is referring to is the Sarvis Fork bridge and it is in use daily. I used to carry mail on that route, and would stop to eat my lunch on the bridge because it was so cool in there. You can tell there wasn't much traffic back then (early 1980's)!
I've never seen one in real life, but I don't think may folks who have seen Bridges Over Madison County will ever look at a covered bridge in the same way again. Lovely.
I've never seen one in real life either, but I love them. I'm a romantic...I read the Bridges of Madison County. Why in the world did they move it? There's a Durgin Covered Bridge in NH and I'd love to see it someday. I'm a Durgin and I can't help but wonder if it's one of my Durgins that the bridge is named after.
12 comments:
it is really neat to see, regardless! is it still be used where it is now or is it more of a footbridge thing?
Oh, sagging ... hope it survives it all. Such a beauty. I wonder if we've seen it in our many travels there.
Di dyou receive your mail yet? Hope you are doing ok sweet friend. Prayers lifting. Always here for you.
Have a wonderful eve ~
TTFN ~
Hugs,
Marydon
That is one of the prettiest bridges I have ever seen - I hope and pray it last. Looks like the Bridge of Madison County! sandie
I think the closest one to me is just below Wood County in Jackson just off Rt. 21 near one of the Morgan farms. As far as I know, it's still in use.
That's a beautiful bridge, Angela. I hope it survives. They moved the Statts Mill bridge in Jackson County to Cedar Lakes and it's been okay so far. I think it was moved about 20 years ago. The one Gorges is referring to is the Sarvis Fork bridge and it is in use daily. I used to carry mail on that route, and would stop to eat my lunch on the bridge because it was so cool in there. You can tell there wasn't much traffic back then (early 1980's)!
I imagine the thought was to save the bridge by moving it. It doesn't look as if things have turned out as planned.
Neat looking bridge! Hope you're doing well Angela. I've been thinking of you!
at least they did not tear it down. it is a very nice old bridge. must be a walking bridge now, doesn't look safe for cars.
I've never seen one in real life, but I don't think may folks who have seen Bridges Over Madison County will ever look at a covered bridge in the same way again. Lovely.
I've never seen one in real life either, but I love them. I'm a romantic...I read the Bridges of Madison County. Why in the world did they move it? There's a Durgin Covered Bridge in NH and I'd love to see it someday. I'm a Durgin and I can't help but wonder if it's one of my Durgins that the bridge is named after.
I love covered bridges, Angela. Enjoyed reading this post.
I think of you everyday, especially when I look at my beautiful hens and chicks!
That is a really pretty bridge. I love the old covered bridges and have taken pictures of a few of them. Thanks for showing us this one.
Post a Comment