Last week we braved the cold weather to take a trip to Wilkerson Christmas Tree Farm in Griffithsville, West Virginia to find our Christmas tree for the year. The morning snow made the trees look stunningly beautiful. At Wilkerson Christmas Tree Farm there are 13 acres of their 75 acre farm that is planted in Christmas trees and serves as a Choose and Cut Christmas tree farm. They offer a wide variety of trees to pick from. White and Scotch pine, Norway and Blue spruce, and a sparse selection of firs. They also have wreaths, door swags, stands, walking sticks, and greenery. In most fields there is a mix of small trees with the larger trees. Christmas trees grow approximately 1 foot a year on average. So, if you want a six foot tree, it takes about six years for it to get that size! We have been going to Wilkerson Christmas Tree Farm to pick and cut a tree for around 12 years now. It's a fun family event at our house! The kids love to pose in front of the larger unusual trees in the field. There are many trees up on the side of the hill to choose from. Most if not all of the trees that we pick to cut down is on the side of the hill. We always walk the entire farm when we go every year. We found this year's Christmas tree on the side of the hill as usual. Isn't it a bute Clark! After my husband cuts down the tree that we selected he carries our tree back to the entrance of the farm. At the entrance of the farm is where they put our tree on the shaker where all debris such as leaves and even bird's nests will be removed. After all the debris is removed they then put it through a baler. Our tree was a bit on the round side so they had a harder time getting it to go through the baler. I hope you enjoyed visiting Wilkerson Christmas Tree Farm with us!
Angela, I am so going here next year. What a great place to get a tree. I love that they have many different varieties too. Can’t wait to see pics of it decorated too :) Amy
Amy it's really fun to do too! I forgot to mention in my post that any and all trees are only $22. You can't beat that! Most of the people selling trees on the side of the road in those little tree lots actually go to Wilkerson's and get them there. They are making a lot of money off of a tree!
oh how I miss having real trees with the wonderful smell of pine or fir. We went over to the "other side" and now have artificial. It's really the only way I can decorate early and leave them up through New Years, but I miss the old fashioned trees we used to go choose at the farm...
That was wonderful - extemely interesting. I didn't know anything about a shaker and what is a balor? Your tree was gorgeous. You do so many fun things as a family.
How fun Angela!! Great tradition to do year by year!! Do you have pictures over the years of the kids by trees? Good way to measure how much they have grown!! You guys picked a great tree too!! I'm sure it looks pretty with all the decorations on it!
What a pretty tree you got...and the price was great! I called our local tree farm last year to ask about their trees, and they were $68!!! I wish I had a farm like yours near me, I'd definitely get a real tree. I would rather have a real one, but I just keep using my artificial one because it's paid for. :)
Angela, that's one thing I miss terribly down here in VA. In CT, we always went to the tree farm to select our tree. Down here, it's artificial because of the pellet stove. Although we had a wood stove in CT it was located downstairs in the family room and didn't dry out the tree...:) JP
11 comments:
Angela, I am so going here next year. What a great place to get a tree. I love that they have many different varieties too. Can’t wait to see pics of it decorated too :)
Amy
Amy it's really fun to do too! I forgot to mention in my post that any and all trees are only $22. You can't beat that! Most of the people selling trees on the side of the road in those little tree lots actually go to Wilkerson's and get them there. They are making a lot of money off of a tree!
Angela, love the pictures! Love your holiday (winter) layout!
Hoosier hugs, Cheryl
Loved the "Christmas Vacation" reference. A fine classic! :)
Glad you have such a great family tradition to return to each year!
oh how I miss having real trees with the wonderful smell of pine or fir. We went over to the "other side" and now have artificial. It's really the only way I can decorate early and leave them up through New Years, but I miss the old fashioned trees we used to go choose at the farm...
That was wonderful - extemely interesting. I didn't know anything about a shaker and what is a balor? Your tree was gorgeous. You do so many fun things as a family.
sandie
What a great outing with the children. Fun!
How fun Angela!! Great tradition to do year by year!! Do you have pictures over the years of the kids by trees? Good way to measure how much they have grown!! You guys picked a great tree too!! I'm sure it looks pretty with all the decorations on it!
betty
Its always fun to visit your blog - and this time it was educational too. Didn't know they had a tree shake-down!
What a pretty tree you got...and the price was great! I called our local tree farm last year to ask about their trees, and they were $68!!! I wish I had a farm like yours near me, I'd definitely get a real tree. I would rather have a real one, but I just keep using my artificial one because it's paid for. :)
Hope you have a great week.
Angela, that's one thing I miss terribly down here in VA. In CT, we always went to the tree farm to select our tree. Down here, it's artificial because of the pellet stove. Although we had a wood stove in CT it was located downstairs in the family room and didn't dry out the tree...:) JP
Post a Comment