Friday, July 16, 2010

Blackberry Pie ~ Homemade

It is blackberry picking time all around where I live. Living in the country you can find blackberry bushes growing all around. We went on a mule ride and picked a few so I could make a pie. All we needed was 4 cups of berries. It's time to bake a pie!

Crust

1 cup Quaker Oats ~ I use the old fashioned
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup (1 stick) margarine or butter, melted
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Combine all ingredients for the crust; mix well. Press mixture evenly onto bottom and sides of pie plate. You can lightly grease it. I don't. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly.


Blackberry Pie Filling

4 cups of fresh blackberries
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch combined with
1/4 cup water
2/3 to 1 cup sugar

Put blackberries in a large bowl, add flour, cornstarch combined with water and sugar. Let stand for 15 minutes after blending it gently into the fresh fruit.


Topping

1/3 cup Quaker Oats ~ I use the old fashioned
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons margarine or butter, chilled

For topping, combine dry ingredients; mix well. Cut in margarine until mixture is crumbly; sprinkle evenly over filling. Bake 35 to 40 minutes.



And here is the finished blackberry pie! Enjoy!



Angela

12 comments:

Rose said...

looks goodand not difficult to make. have a good weekend

betty said...

never thought of using oatmeal for a pie crust, Angela, but it sounds good! how neat to be able to enjoy taking a ride, picking blackberries and then making a pie from it! sounds like a perfect day indeed!!

bet it tasted so very good!

have a great weekend

betty

Melanie said...

Oh my goodness, that looks delicious!!
I'm going to print out the recipe so I can make one of these.

Have a great weekend! :)

Chatty Crone said...

That does look delish - black berries are usually kind of sour - but this looks awesome.
sandie

Love Of Quilts said...

Thanks the pie sounds so good. Trish

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

Hummm I love black berry pies, I usually just make a dump cobbler, it's so good and so easy but might just have to try this one.

ocmist said...

This really would be much healthier than a regular pie crust, with the oats and all. Almost like a Brown Betty type of dessert! My girlfriend up in Oregon has blackberry bushes all over "like weeds" as she puts it. I love them in cobblers too, but have to use frozen or canned.

I LOVE them, but rarely get a chance to get any around here. They cost about $3.99 for a cupful at the store... :( Every once in a while, I will break down and buy a frozen one... big sigh!!!

Flo de Sendai said...

it looks delicious !

ClassyChassy said...

Hey, love that recipe, and when our blackberries ripen I will try it. They are still hard and green in the woods here. Did you have any left overs for the next meal???

Rose said...

just wanted to jump back and thakyou for your comment on my post about my husband,eddie. have a blessed wekend

Traveling with Maria said...

Yes thank you Mommy for making a delicious Blackberrie pie!!
:~)Maria

Janet, said...

I'll try this again, my first comment wouldn't post. That looks delicious. I've never made a crust like that before for a blackberry pie. I make a blackberry crumble where you just dump your plain blackberries in your baking dish and then top with a crumb topping. It's real easy..and good.