Saturday, June 6, 2009

How I Save Money Shopping



I thought I would share with you how I save money when I shop. I'll be the first to admit that sometimes I do spend money when I shouldn't but for the most part I do consider myself as a good thrifty shopper. I sometimes will call myself a Power Shopper! lol My definition of a Power Shopper is someone who basically only buys things on sale which is what I mostly do~ some products never go on sale! When I do find a product that we use regularly that is on sale I will buy several of them. I call it stocking up so I won't need to buy it again until I find it on sale again! Here are some tips to help you become a Power Shopper also!

First, coupons are your best friend especially if they are for the products that you use on a regular basis. There are several places to go to get those all so important coupons. One place is to go to the manufacturer's web page and sign up to receive their newsletter. The newsletter's email is usually packed with lots of coupons with more savings on them than the ones from your local newspaper which is another great source for coupons. Another source for my area and I'm sure it would be good for you is to go here.

http://print.coupons.com/CouponWeb/Offers.aspx?pid=14161&nid=10&zid=xc06

Next would be to go to the store's web page if they have one. I do know that Target has one and they have their own coupons on their web page. You can even access their web page coupons at the store on those little computer things where you print out baby and wedding registries. The bonus about looking at the coupons at the store is that you can print them out at the store which saves you paper and ink for your printer!

I have more tips on shopping at Target. The end aisles are where they usually put the things on clearance at. Target is really good at clearancing seasonal things out. I buy Summer things in the Winter and Winter things in the Summer. Just last week I bought new curtains for my dining room on one of those end aisles for the price of $7.00 a pair! I couldn't buy the material and sew new curtains for that price!!!

After Holiday sales are also a great bonus for me. That is when I buy most of my decorations and crafts for Christmas, Halloween, Easter, 4th of July, etc..... Now girls, I shop year round for Christmas!!! Doing it that way saves me lots of money and I don't end up spending hundreds and or thousands in the month of December.

Now, when it comes to shopping for clothes, I basically do the same thing. I usually buy my Summer clothes in the Winter and my Winter clothes in the Summer when they are clearancing them out. I have actually paid $1.00 for shorts and $1.00 for shirts for the kids at Kohl's around Christmas! You know they are going to need shorts and shirts in just a few short months so why not buy them at the bargain price of a dollar a pair? Kohl's also has a great deal where if you sign up to receive their email sales at the Customer Service Desk they will send you a coupon to get $5.00 off your next purchase at their store.

If you are like me and don't go to the movie theatre to see the newest movies on screen and you wait for them to release the DVD, the first week that they release the new DVD's are when they are at their lowest price. I have found that Target again is the best place for me to purchase those new releases.

This past Thanksgiving I found Green Giant can foods on sale at WalMart for .50 a can! I bought a buggy full! They don't expire until 2012 so why not?

Now, go out there and clip those coupons and go to the manufacturers web pages so you can save a lot of money like I do when shopping and you can call yourself a Power Shopper too!!!


Angela

2 comments:

betty said...

all great advice, Angela. I hadn't thought about signing up with the manufacturer's to get coupons that way. I'll have to remember to do that. I know that I'm learning to be a power shopper and trying not to pay full price for most things and buy extra if something is on sale.

thanks for all the great advice! in this day and age we need to do all we can to save money where we can

betty

Jenelle said...

Looks pretty good to me! I'm not good about shopping like that, but I try.