There are a lot of health benefits of consuming herbs and spices with our food. I have been trying to include more and more spices and herbs in my recipes, but when you didn't grow up eating these types of things it is hard to figure out how to add them to your diet. Growing up my mom would make pork chops with mashed potatoes and apples. Another day would be a beef roast with boiled potatoes and peas. The next day would be a vegetable soup with the leftover beef. Mom cooked a lot of comfort foods. I try to cook different things. Most times I have to cut the spices in half that are recommended in a recipe because it is just too strong for us because we aren't used to it.
I love watermelon! I prefer to buy watermelon that has the seeds because I think it taste better than the ones without the seeds. It is getting harder and harder each year to find a watermelon with seeds. Usually when I do find one with seeds it cost more than the one without seeds. I can remember when they first came out with the seedless variety and those were the ones that cost more. It seems like watermelons keep going up in price every summer. I hope to plant some watermelons in our garden this year. Hopefully Mother Nature will work with us this year instead of against us in the garden!
Who knew dark chocolate contains more iron than beef? I didn't! I'm not sure if this is accurate or not, but I am hoping that it is!





4 comments:
i am with you on the watermelon, it does taste better with the seeds.
i was raised on the same food you were, we had a garden and daddy grew everything we ate, even potatoes... to go with what he grew, mother cooked beef, pork and chicken, mostly chicken. but it was fried.... no spices other than salt and pepper and bacon fat... i have never cooked with spices and when someone else uses them i don't like the taste. oregano makes me sick.. the others i can eat but don't like. cinnamon i like, ginger if it is cookies or ginger bread.
i agree on the seeded watermelons being better. and i like the experience of having to get around the seeds, too. :) part of the fun.
Love cinnamon and I make ginger cookies which are great! We use oregano, basil, garlic and I love turmeric!!!!...:)JP
We try to eat more dark chocolate! LOL! I do agree seeded watermelons taste so much better! I go crazy with watermelon in the summertime. It is so good on a hot day! Yum! My oldest son Jeremy lost 70 plus pounds last year. He cooks with spices all the time. Always trying new things and eating very healthy. It is a good thing.
Post a Comment