Monday, December 3, 2012

Saturday I went to a "Tree of Hope" ceremony at the imaging center that found my breast cancer.  I took my Young Lady with me.  When I first got the invitation I thought to myself I don't want to go.  Then I remembered that it was this time last year when I was having to have lots of test to see if I had breast cancer.  The waiting room had a little white tree that was decorated with pink ornaments with ladies who were survivors.  The tree was kind of sparce to me with not many ornaments on it.  It wasn't very encouraging to me at all since each ornament represents a lady who is a survivor of breast cancer.  With that thought I realized that I had to go.  I also had to go because I'm due my yearly mammogram this week and I would feel funny seeing that tree without an ornament with my name on it as a Survivor!


The party was wonderful!  They had a lot more ladies who showed up for the event then they have had in the past 3 years when they started the event.  I will have to say that I was the youngest survivor there.  Most of the ladies were in their 70's and completely gray.  Most were around 10 year survivors.  One lady was a 20 year survivor!  I may have been the youngest one there but I wasn't the newest in terms of surgery dates.  One dear lady had her surgery in July.  She was the only lady there that was still undergoing chemo.


The staff was just wonderful!  In the invitation it said there would be light refreshments.  I figured cookies and drinks.  They went all out.  They had ham salad sandwiches, chicken salad sandwiches, cheese sandwiches, veggie trays, dips and crackers, cheese tray, chips and dip, cookies, cupcakes and even a pumpkin roll along with punch, Pepsi, Coke, and coffee. 


After everyone finished their food they had a drawing for the grand door prize.  One little old lady won the pink breast cancer robe.  She was thrilled.  The look on her face was priceless.  They then brought out a big box full of other prizes.  They just kept drawing names until every single breast cancer survivor had a prize.  I got a reusable shopping bag with Hope on it.  Perfect for me because I love using those types of bags when I go shopping.  Just when we thought the party was over they came out with more prizes for us!  I felt like I was on the Oprah show!   They had made us manicure sets in mason jars.  They were so cute.

I had my yearly mammogram today.  That is when I took the pictures of the tree.  There were just way too many people there Saturday.  Plus I left my camera in the truck.  I was hoping to see the lady who did my mammogram last year that found my little teeny tiny spot with the magnifying glass.  She still works there but wasn't there today.  I told the girl who did my mammogram today all about it.  She was thrilled that they had found my cancer so early.  She gave me a hug before I left.  

Angela  


10 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

now THAT'S a worthwhile celebration! so glad you went! :)

Gorges Smythe said...

Atta girl!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hard to believe, Angela, that it has been a year... So glad you went went to the party... Gorgeous tree...

SO proud of you and what you have been through this year.... God Bless.
Hugs,
Betsy

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

What a wonderful celebration! So glad you went.

MadSnapper n Beau said...

this is a wonderful upbeat and heart lifting post. the tree is beautiful and i am so glad you went

Anonymous said...

Awesome post today, Angela. So happy your went and shared this with us. God bless you!

Chatty Crone said...

Oh Angela - she said deep breathing - I am so thrilled that they caught it early and that you ARE A SURVIVOR! You are a survivor - you have the spirit of a survivor too.

The party seemed awesome and let you know that there are a lot of women in the same or similar position and that it can be done.

When do you get results?

Love, sandie

Sharon said...

What a great post, Angela! You are an inspiration to everyone who knows you.

ocmist said...

I am so HAPPY... as happy as can be... to know that you are doing so well and that God blessed you by showing you and your doctor that tiny spot so early! Your story touched many and will continue to touch many more. You are such a blessing to so many of us and I'm glad they had such a nice celebration for all of you there!

Anonymous said...

Hey really Very interesting blog with great ideas and information and everybody like this.. thanks for sharing it!!!

Privet Shrub Varieties