Monday, August 16, 2010

Crayfish ~ Tuesdays' Show & Tail

Welcome to the Forty-Fifth Weekly Segment of Tuesdays' Show & Tail! I hope everyone will join me every Tuesday to post a picture of two of your pets, wildlife or visit to the zoo and tell a little about them! Tuesdays' Show & Tail is about having fun, and giving us a chance to meet other pet owners in the blogging community. If you are visiting and would like to join in on the fun, please do so! Everyone is welcome. It is very easy to do. Take a look at my guidelines here.

When we went to Canaan Valley for vacation two weeks ago we found this nice area to have a picnic lunch beside a creek.


It was a beautiful place to stop and relax to the peaceful sounds of nature. After we ate our lunch we decided it was time to explore this new area to see what we could find. It wasn't long before I noticed a few crayfish swimming around among the rocks in this creek.



Crayfish or crawfish are related to the lobster but much smaller. If you look close you can see that I have a bonus bug in the picture above!






We really enjoyed our time spent there and we will definitely go back the next time we visit. Driving around and exploring Canaan Valley is kind of like a Lewis and Clark adventure for us. I would like to encourage you to go out and try to explore all of the beauty around you that God made for us to enjoy.
Angela


13 comments:

ClassyChassy said...

That was a great post today, even the "Bonus Bug"! You are so funny sometimes! I will get my TS&T post up tomorrow, Angela!!!

Michelle @ Delicate Construction said...

What a beautiful creek! Great Pictures!

Rose said...

i love the creek. not certain how i feel about the crayfish. rose

Kim said...

Great pictures. I didn't realize crayfish looked so much like lobster.

Janet, said...

funny, but the first bug I noticed in the picture was the bonus bug. The craw-fish kind of blended in and was not too noticeable,at first. I love going on trips and exploring God's beauty.

Chatty Crone said...

It is great to go around and take the time to see God's beauty all around us - you're right about that.

Can't say I think crayfish are beautiful. In fact when cooked they look like roaches - sorry, but they do!

Beautiful place Angela.

sandie♥

Jennifer Oberth said...

Interesting. Love the 'Bonus Bug'!

Pretty surroundings. Just beautiful.

Katie said...

Oh, it's BEAUTIFUL back there! It looks like a great place to explore over there. Great pictures too!

Chicken Wrangler said...

Love your photos - have you ever used an underwater camera??

Amanda said...

OoooOooh!! A "skiddlebopper" in your picture with the crawdad!! :-D

I used to catch both of those things back in the day! You ever HEARD what a crawdad (crayfish) SOUNDS like? I was tormenting one once when he was in his crawdad hole (those holes in the yard are made by those things) and as I tormented it it was making a sort of clicking sound. It was the coolest thing. I don't know if it was using its mouth or how it was making the sound.... but it was cool. I got it on video.... I need to dig it up and stick it on youtube and share it some day.

The bonus bug in your picture has lots of names but I think the most common name is Water Strider.

Annesphamily said...

This was a nice post! I like that buggy boost! Thanks for sharing. Come see me soon. Anne

ocmist said...

I love seeing the water stryder. My dad used to take us camping all the time to small creeks and we would always see them. When our kids were young, we would go out to the canals around the area and get big tubs of crawfish to take home and cook. It was hysterical the first time we went out and my daughter had a pair of tongs to pick them up with and they would sort of lunge at her and she'd scream and then go back and try again. Of course, the boys were trying to be tough and catch them by hand... got some pretty good pinches! LOL

warren said...

I would live in Canaan Valley if I could...well, except for in the winter. Anyhow, it is an amazing and wonderful place...cool pics!