Monday, April 26, 2010

Kingsford Charcoal ~ Made In West Virginia

It's time to fire up the grill as it is officially grilling season here in West Virginia. I don't know about you but I do love to cook dinner on the grill. We especially love to cook marinated chicken, New York steaks and even hot dogs. I've even been known to grill up some corn on the cob when it is in season.


Did you know that Kingsford Charcoal is made in Parsons, West Virginia? I took a further look into the beginnings of Kingsford Charcoal and discovered some very interesting facts. Apparently in the 1920s Henry Ford learned of a process for turning wood scraps from the production of Model T's into charcoal briquets. He built a charcoal plant, and the rest is history.
The Kingsford Company was formed when E.G. Kingsford, a relative of Ford's, brokered the site selection for Ford's new charcoal manufacturing plant. The company, originally called Ford Charcoal, was renamed Kingsford® Charcoal in his honor.


There are many different varieties of charcoal that you can buy.


I really don't know why the web site did not mention that they make their charcoal in Parsons, West Virginia but I do know for a fact that there is a plant there. We have actually drove by there on our way to Canaan Valley, West Virginia. The next time we are in the area I will try to get some pictures of the plant for you to see it for yourself!




Angela

3 comments:

betty said...

that is cool, Angela! and everyone knows of or has used Kingsford Charcoal for barbecues! glad that it is still made in the United States and in your state rather than in another country! Happy barbecuing this summer! I love corn on the cob on the grill too and we also do asparagus and zucchini, yum!

betty

Chatty Crone said...

Share what you marinade that chicken in - I am running out of ideas.

I didn't know that Kingsford Charcoal was made there.

Sandie

Karen said...

That's the brand I always buy...that is, when I use the charcoal grill instead of the gas grill.