Welcome to the Twenty First Weekly Segment of Tuesdays' Show & Tail! I hope everyone will join me every Tuesday to post a picture of two of your pets, wildlife or visit to the zoo and tell a little about them! Tuesdays' Show & Tail is about having fun, and giving us a chance to meet other pet owners in the blogging community. If you are visiting and would like to join in on the fun, please do so! Everyone is welcome. It is very easy to do. Take a look at my guidelines here.
I went through my old photo albums to find a picture of Odie. Odie was the son of Brandy, my first dog I ever had as a child. There is a strange twist in Odie's lineage as Odie's mother was a Pembroke Welsh Corgi! Seriously! When I was in the 7th grade a new family moved in down the street from me. They had the funniest little stubby legged short dog I had ever seen in my life! Plus it had no tail! I had no idea what kind of dog that was back then until now! lol Anyway, my sister's best friend lived next door to the people with the Pembroke Welsh Corgi. Apparently my sister and her best friend seen our dog Brandy inside the fence with the neighbor's corgi. Brandy actually jumped the fence! A couple months later she had puppies. I remember going to their house to pick out one of the puppies to bring home for us to keep. They were keeping them in the garage and the mother had gotten into the trash and trash was all over the garage with those pups. That's a strange thing to remember isn't it. I don't remember how many puppies there were but I do remember picking out Odie and bringing him home. At the time he was a darker color somewhat like the color of Brandy. As time went by he turned the reddish color and stayed that way. We named him Odie after Garfield and Odie which was a new cartoon at the time. Now it's time to meet Odie!
Can you see the corginess in him? He was a very long bodied, short stubby legged dog with a bonus tail like his father! He too was one of the bestest dogs I've ever had. It wasn't long after we got him that we moved to another farm. This farm had lots of snakes! Yikes! Not only were there back snakes but there were copper head snakes too! Copper head snakes are poisonous and can be deadly if bitten by one. Odie being the little hunter that he was would keep a snake at bay until my dad would come out and kill the snake. My dad somehow trained this dog, or perhaps Odie was just that smart, the difference between the two snakes. Odie got to where he would kill the black snakes himself and keep the copper heads at bay until my dad would kill it. On one particular day Odie actually kept a copper head in it's place for several hours until my dad got home from work. He was also known to tree opossums too! His nickname was Odie Oat Oat Oat! I can't help but to look at this picture and think there's Odie Oat Oat Oat! Angela


11 comments:
I love the story of your Corgi mix - what a surprise post! The Corgi with a "bonus tail"!
He was your bestest 'dog' ever - he was so cute - I want a dog!
He never got bit by a snake?
What a loyal sweetie pie.
Sandie
ClassyChassy; yes he loved to wag that "bonus tail"! lol
Chatty Crone; Odie never did get bit by a snake and because of him we never got bit by a snake!
What a precious boy! Smart, too.
They have vaccinations out here so that our dogs won't die from getting bit by rattlers. Rattlers are all over out here and a lot of noses get bit. The dogs aren't as wily as Odie!
smart dog that Odie was to distinguish between the two snakes; oh my, not sure I could have lived there though with all of them roaming about
Odie was cute! I could see corgi in his face too
betty
Angela,
I can see the corginess in him .... He was soooo cute .... There is something to be siad for a little dog! Thanks for sharing.
What a great story - and Odie was soooo neat looking with those colors!! I love that. It never ceases to amaze me the instincts that dogs have, seriously. Thanks for hosting this, Angela, and have a great day ~ ♥
Hi Angela,
Your Oldie is beautiful! Love the color of his coat. Have a great day!
Sherrie
A View of My Life
Beautiful Blog! Enjoyed my visit. I have 4 Corgi's!
Julie
www.equusvilla.blogspot.com
www.ridingaside.blogspot.com
He was a smart dog! I'm glad he never got bit by one of those copperheads.
Cool... A corgi story! He was a cutie. About the same red color as Dott and Pippin. Don't know if you've ever visited Benny's Big Beautiful Blog, but he came from another country and in several other countries, they don't allow tail-docking, so even though he is a full Pem, he has a long tail... a lot like Odie's!
Our Sadie will hold the Rattlers around here at bay if she finds one until we can get a gun to shoot it. She jumps at them, but not to close, until they coil and stay that way. She's done it a couple of times. (Scares me because the last time, a couple of the corgis got involved, doing what she was doing and I was afraid someone was going to trip over someone and fall the wrong way--toward the snake!)
I'm sure you loved him a lot... after all, who CAN'T love a CORGI!
Post a Comment